Getting coverage in your local media may not have the prestige of being featured by national media outlets but it often delivers a better return on investment, especially to locally-based businesses.
For small businesses, local outlets are a more realistic target for media coverage than the national press. Residents want to read about local news, stories, and events so if you can help a journalist deliver this, then you are well on the way to getting valuable media coverage for your business.
What is Local Media Coverage?
Local media coverage is getting featured in Local newspaper, magazines, TV, Radio, and more. They focus more on local issues and events. Unlike national and international press, the local press focuses more on its regional and local communities.
For a small business, it is a great way to create awareness of the brand locally. This will not only help you to reach your target audience but will also help you in the authority of your brand. The other benefits are that build trust, intrigue sponsors and much more.
Here are some ideas on How to get Local Media Coverage:
- Before you start bombarding journalists with your pitch, it’s very important to first do your research. Identify and create a list of local newspaper, TV, radio, magazines etc. Not just any local media outlet but ones that reflect your target audience.
- Identify the reporters at each publication relevant to your topic or business and gather their contact details like email address, contact number through a various source such as Linkedin, Twitter and media outlet website.
- Make a list of communities & events and be a part of it. It will help you in connecting with the people of your niche and the people of local media outlets. Most importantly, any effective media plan is very important to get local press coverage.
- Learning how to get local media is a process that takes time but if you stick with it, you can get press coverage that drives more sales for your business. Find the right media contacts, form relationships with them and craft the perfect pitch, and you have a higher chance of getting press coverage and also of being a source for reporters in the future.
- An effective media plan is an important foundation for gaining media coverage in the areas of print, TV, radio and online media outlets your target audience consumes. Get my 2019 MEDIA PLAN GUIDE for FREE!
2. CREATE AND SHARE NEWSWORTHY STORIES
- Newsworthy stories are those which creates interest among the readers. So, learn how to create one.
- It’s not the time to promote that your product or service is great. Editors and producer jobs are to provide value to their audience. Therefore, they are more interested in listening to some newsworthy ideas and stories which fascinates their readers.
- As a part of getting press coverage and creating newsworthy stories, you can also organize or sponsor local events.
3. SEND THE EMAILS OR PRESS RELEASE AND FOLLOW UP WITH THEM
- The initial outreach is sending a pitch to the reporter or editor. Your pitch should be short, interesting and show value.
- Grab their attention by having a strong email subject and show the value you that you will be offering to the audience up front. This is not the time to sell your products or services. Do your research before sending a pitch or press release. It may help to comment on a recent story or article so that they know you’ve done your homework. Plus a little ego stroking never hurts.
- A Press release is best to seize media attention before and after an event or notable occurrence with your business or brand. You can create two press release: one before announcing the events and the second the day of your event. A well written and informative press release can easily magnetize the journalist, editors or producers. Online press releases are also great for SEO purposes.
- A pitch is one of the most successful ways to get media coverage for you or your business. It is a tried and true method and one of the most common ways to communicate with a journalist.
- Journalists receive hundreds of pitches a day – most of them completely unrelated to their area of interest. So, before you start to send a pitch it is important to stop and think about what you want to achieve, what publication you want to be covered in and who your intended audience is. It is essential to create a pitch with the audience in mind if the content is of value to the audience; the journalist is more likely to publish it.
- Click here to know Four things to think about when writing a media pitch or press release.
- With businesses and brands growing rapidly, it’s getting harder and harder to stand out from the competition. Media will help you stand above the crowd.
- Even with the myriad of marketing platforms that have come into the picture, the time-tested press release will never go out of fashion. Get my PRESS RELEASE TEMPLATE FREE!
4. BUILD RELATIONSHIP AND BE A PART OF DIFFERENT EVENTS
- Networking is super important for all small businesses. Accordingly, research and build a list of community and event calendars to make sure you do not miss any. Make yourself available for these events. Additionally, you can also share all the details of your brand and event to the community calendar to get it noticed by various people.
- Be an active member of local groups or community relevant to your business and increase your chance of getting connected with various journalists.
- Go to local events and introduce yourself and share valuable insight or noteworthy stories related to your business to the journalists or editors if appropriate. Don’t forget to share your card with the contact details in it. Make sure to follow up with them after the event.
- The primary benefit you will get in building strong relationships with the local media is that when you send an email or press release to them, they are more likely to open it.
- Make sure to follow up with them after the interview as well. Start to build a relationship by connecting with them on social media and commenting on their blog posts. This will organically connect you and the local media coverage people.
5. INVITE MEDIA TO SPECIAL EVENTS
- At the same time, you’re posting your events on community calendars, you can also send an invitation and free tickets to different local media outlets.
- Take time to create a powerful email invitation and a press release to make your event go viral.
- A Media Kit is a document which contains information about you, your business, products or services and events. It is one of my favorite tools because it contains all of the most important information in one comprehensive document. Not quite sure what to include? This handy FREE checklist will help.
6. BE A GREAT SOCIAL MEDIA PERSON
- Create your profile on every social media platform and engage to gain a lot of followers. Nowadays everything is on the internet. Hence, your social presence is very important in order to get more exposure.
- This social presence will act as a magnet to attract Journalist, Editors, and Producers.
- Lastly, the best way you can be active on social media is by writing blogs, guest posts, creating YouTube videos, creating and managing social media posts, and being a part of the discussion on different forums.
Learning how to get local media is a process that takes time but if you stick with it, you can get press coverage that drives more sales for your business. Find the right media contacts, form relationships with them and craft the perfect pitch, and you have a higher chance of getting press coverage and also of being a source for reporters in the future.
An effective media plan is an important foundation for gaining media coverage in the areas of print, TV, radio and online media outlets your target audience consumes. Get my 2019 MEDIA PLAN GUIDE for FREE!